Strugglers bounce back with emphatic seven-wicket win
Strugglers bounce back with emphatic seven-wicket win

Jamie Eldridge and his side defeated Newquay

30th June 2021

By Tom Howe

Lanhydrock showed great character in responding to the previous weekend’s 57 all out to secure a commanding seven-wicket win over a hapless Newquay side.

Only Jake Carter and William Wagstaffe had made double figures for Lanhydrock in a 157-run defeat to Paul a week earlier but Ben Attfield’s charges, who had won just once in County Division One this season, put the record straight on Saturday.

Newquay were barely afforded room to breathe as their hosts skittled them for a meagre 63 inside 21 overs, with Jamie Eldridge taking 5-16, Ruben Turner 3-25 and Attfield 2-21.

Lanhydrock whittled away the visiting total inside 45 minutes, with James Maycock (26*) and Attfield (10*) overcoming the loss of three cheap early wickets to guide them home after ten overs.

Newquay captain Callan Jenkin, whose side were defeated by seven wickets at home to Beacon on the preceding Saturday, won the toss and elected to bat first on a lush surface at Lanhydrock Cricket Ground.

Unfortunately for them, the tone was set early when Joe Crane (6) and Tom Rhodes (0) were dismissed in consecutive balls in the fourth over. Grant Stone, so often the hero for Newquay this season, showed glimpses of his reputation as one of the league’s best batsmen but he and teammate Michael Harding were both out at the hand of Eldridge by the end of the 12th over for 21 and 15 respectively.

The writing was on the wall when Tommy Rodda and Jenkin fell for back-to-back no scores in the space of four deliveries.

The game’s fourth, fifth and sixth maidens followed, with Antony Leaney another to fall for nought. Matt Hartnett (1) and Lee Penrose (0) suffered similar fates before the dismissal of Ed Mosley, again for nought, brought a disappointing innings to a rather abrupt end in the 20th over.

Chasing just 64 to win, Lanhydrock’s innings got off to an auspicious start when Morgan Williams and Kris Jones were both sent packing without score by Stone (2-23) to leave the hosts 3-2.

When Rodda (1-25) trapped Carter leg before wicket for nine, Lanhydrock were left 16- 3 and nerves began to jangle. However, Maycock was joined at the crease by Attfield and the two put on a partnership of 48 to get the home team over the line in double quick time.

This Saturday, Lanhydrock, who leapfrog Newquay into eighth spot thanks to their convincing win, visit a second-placed Falmouth team eager to secure promotion back to the Premier Division, while Jenkin’s outfit entertain another top-four side in the shape of Paul.

“Our performance was chalk and cheese from our last games,” Attfield told the Voice. “We were on the money from ball one today, we were intense in the field and took our catches. It was lackadaisical the last few weeks but this time we were tight from ball one.”

“Even though it was a low total chase, it was chased and chased quite quickly as well which is confidence building. With little wins like this, it will all come. We are obviously not happy with our league position but the boys are working hard and we are waiting for it all to click.”